Monday, March 4, 2013

Fears . . .his, mine and ours

It's an understatement to say that I've been thinking about Sean all day.  Obviously he is the reason for the trip, but as we were touring Beijing, I couldn't help but think about all the things he must be thinking.  I would be terrified.  I'd like to think that a life with the Naves sounds incredibly exciting, but any excitement he may have at the prospect of a brother and sisters, mother and father and numerous other family, I'm guessing his focus is not on what he is gaining but rather what he is losing.  At a minimum he will be leaving behind his friends, caregivers, language, culture and and home.  That has to be overshadowing any excitement he may be feeling.

Tonight my thoughts turned to a family I know about who made this journey for an older child, about 10 months before we got Claire, and their daughter was with them for a few days and then it became clear she didn't want to be adopted.  There is an age, I believe it's 10, that the child also has to consent to the adoption.  This girl didn't.  And they were devestated.  I remember feeling grateful that Claire didn't have to make that decision.  As I remembered how I cried for this family, the realization dawned on me that this could happen to us!  Do I think it will??  No!  But still, I had forgotten about it until tonight and I felt that little bit of fear creep into my heart. 

As Sean is packing his things tonight and spending his last night in his orphanage, a place he's known since he was very little, please pray for all of us.  That our arms will be wide enough to reassure Sean that he is meant for our family, that his heart is accepting of us and all we will offer him, that this plan of God's for us is filled with mostly tears of happiness and very few misgivings.  

Oh, and if you think of it could you pray that he knows a little bit of English???

No comments:

Post a Comment